Sunday, November 15, 2009

AGAIN......Wear your seatbelts AND BUCKLE IN YOUR KIDS.

First thing this morning. Life flight. 2 month old, ejected from vehicle, unrestrained. I think 3 others dead on the scene. Surprisingly this kid is ok. I don't even think that he broke anything!
Not so good for the others though. Little girl from last night made it through the night/day, but is brain dead. Mom is in the hospital but ok. Brother is stable, and the other one is on it's way to our facility so that the family can be together. The teenagers that caused the accident are all ok and all smiles.......I don't know if they grasp the fact that they just disseminated an entire family. Damn lack of pre-frontal cortex! Teens don't realize the consequences of their actions.....they can't......that part of their brain isn't fully developed yet. I say, at least show some remorse for those that died. My job is not to judge but sometimes it is really hard not to want to. Even with these kids.....their injuries would be vastly different if they were in car seats or in seat belts even. The girl would likely have survived. But the reality is that mom is going to have to live with that for the rest of her life. That is really sad. Again, like I said.......it is hard not to judge. It is easy to point fingers at the mom and the teen, but the reality is that mom needs all the compassion and support that she can get right now. Who am I to judge her or anyone else? Who REALLY thinks that an accident is going to happen to them? Not very many people. Hind sight is 20/20, but this will be a hard thing to look back upon for that family.

On a different note. Pulled chest tube #2 today. Took 5 patients on my own, and felt more competent on rounds. It is a little easier on the weekends though when there isn't a gigantic posse rounding. Got pimped pretty hard today, but in a good, "I want to see what you know, to see what else I can teach you" way. I did really well. I even got a few eyebrow raises as in "I really didn't expect you to know that or get that right" kind of way. That felt good. Mind you, I did not know all the answers, but it felt good to be on the more right than wrong side of the curve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers